It’s a list combined from SimilarWeb and Alexa with my experience in Vietnam market. As SimilarWeb just provides top 5 sites, and Alexa seems to be affected by some sites’ tactics to gain higher rank. I used to manage Ecommerce channel for a digital retail chain in VN, also worked on travel, online women community, deal aggregator site so know one or two things about Vietnam retail & ecommerce market.
1. Lazada.vn one point to mention that the product and technical team of Lazada Southeast Asia are also based in Vietnam due to the relevant talents here.
2. Chotot.com, part of 701Search, a joint venture between Singapore Press Holdings Limited, Schibsted Media Group and Telenor Group. Chotot is also sister of Kaidee Thailand, Mudah Malaysia, Berniaga Indonesia (now merged with OLX)
3. Tiki.vn founded 3/2010, a B2C website started with selling books then extended to selling most popular products in Books/Electronics & Accessories/Gifts/Fashion/Beauty & Health. Tiki was backed by Huan Dinh (one of the founders of the largest digital retail chains in Vietnam Thegioididong No.4 this list) seed round. Recently funded by Sumitomo (Series B), then VNG one of the largest Internet companies in VN with around $20M. VNG’s M&A strategy seems to work better it’s own ecommerce business.
4. Thegioididong.com , largest digital and home appliance product retail chain in Vietnam with more than 1000 stores, now extending to daily grocery with it’s new chain BachHoaXanh (Green Grocery) – Largest retail chain in Vietnam, started with selling mobile, movable digital products then selling home and appliances, now extending to daily grocery products. According to Euromonitor, Thegioididong is the top ecommerce player in VN for five years in a row. More corporate details here.
6. Sendo.vn – general shopping site but has more advantage with fashion and cosmetic products. Sendo is the ecommerce arm of FPT – one of the largest telecom companies in Vietnam with many products and services such as retail, software outsourcing, Internet service provider. FPT also owns one of the largest online news site VnExpress.net
7. 5giay.vn – classified ad website, Founder is computer shop owner, started a forum to let his customers discuss about computer devices’ problems. Deals turn into real transactions ratio is very high. Grew by viral. Detailed story in Vietnamese
8. Vatgia.com – used to be the most trafficked ecommerce site in VN thanks to content and SEO strategy, started as a price comparison site.
9. Adayroi.com – B2C site backed buy Vin Group, whose owner is the first $US billionaire in VN (on the listed stock market). Vin owns some of the largest shopping malls in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city, and now is going online aggressively by investing 100M for online business.
10. Foody.vn – started as a restaurant review website now Foody extending to Travel, and also offering online booking, food delivery service. Foody is backed by Garena (Series B), Tiger Global (Series C). It’s last round valuation around $37M. Foody already set up in Indonesia and extending to other countries in ASEAN.
11. Fptshop.com.vn – digital product retail chain of FPT, sister with Sendo No.6
12. Yes24.vn – online retailer from Korea, started with selling fashion and cosmetics products. It has some sister sites in Southeast Asia.
Note: it’s now all the top sites in Vietnam are backed by the giants mostly in Vietnam, then from Singapore, Korea. Only 5giay.vn started as a forum, and it takes more time to grow, more than ten years since the beginning.
Disclosure – I used to be Founding Head of Ecommerce for Thegioididong – No.4 when I was still working in VN some years ago.
For a comparison, check out my list for Top online shopping and ecommerce sites in Vietnam 2013
RELATED OTHERS TO WATCH, RANKED FROM HIGH TO LOW BY ALEXA TOP SITES IN VIETNAM
• Vietcombank.com.vn – Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam, probably the bank with the most online banking accounts in Vietnam
• Batdongsan.com.vn launched by the end of 2007, real estate website
• Muaban.net – classified website started as an online version of Mua & Ban (Buy & Sell), the most popular classified newspaper in Vietnam. Backed by IDG Ventures Vietnam, the first VC in Vietnam since 2004, invested $100M with more than 40 startups in it’s porfolio.
• Grab.com Grab & Uber seem to be more popular in Vietnam than they’re in Thailand as taxi price in Vietnam is usually much higher than the tech-enable car sharing services.
• Dienmayxanh.com This is the sister of Thegioididong.com, No. 4 in this top list
• Vietjetair.com the infamous bikini airline with the first self-made female bilionaire in Southeast Asia from Vietnam. Seems to be the decent competitor of AirAsia and LionAir. Recently it closed a deal around $11.3 billion with Boing.
• Nguyenkim.com NguyenKim sold half of it’s shares to Central Group Thailand. Previously it’s the largest home appliance product chain in Vietnam. Now seems to loose it’s title with Dienmayxanh and Thegioididong, which above it’s rank in this list.
• Aliexpress.com lunched in April 2010, AliExpress (www.aliexpress.com) is a global retail marketplace targeted at consumers worldwide. AliExpress seems to be popular in many countries in Southeast Asia now.
• Shopee.vn a mobile marketplace, a subsidy ecommerce arm of Garena, one of the few powerful unicorn startups based out of Singapore. I’ve heard some feedback about Shopee since their services are convenient, easy to use, fee is very low or free.
Note: to see how is it different from Vietnam and Thailand ecommerce space, check out Top online shopping & ecommerce sites in Thailand