Thailand m-commerce from “Line Flash Sale” weekly-deals statistics
aCommerce, the regional end-to-end eCommerce service provider for retailers in Southeast Asia, released its Mobile Commerce Case Study with LINE Thailand.
The Case Study reveals important insights into Thai mobile purchasing behavior through an analysis of the LINE ‘Flash Sale’ campaign–an exclusive product offering available for a short period of time using the country’s most popular social messaging app, which boasts 22 million users.
However, the case study doesn’t reveal the total sold out units of each category, the total buyers, payment method ratio,… so we have to consider to find the real insights. So I want to dig deeper into the numbers to analyze from eCommerce marketing view.
What did the m-customer buy? Perhaps this section also has the answer for Why did the customer buy?
The top five categories are : 1. Food & Beverage, 2. Beauty, 3. Health, 4. Accessories, 5. kitchen ware. Price range is from 299THB ($9.17) to 739THB ($22,67). Consumers were most responsive to the food & beverage Flash Sale, which sold out in under 5 minutes.
The category sample is not big enough but you might have a picture about what can be popular and the acceptable price range in Thailand from what the retailer’s brands offered.
Who are the m-commerce customers?
1/3 are male and 2/3 are female. 37% of them are from 25-34 years old. We can see that the conversion rate from female customers is much higher than than of male customers.
Where do the customers come from?
A little bit surprised when Chiang Mai is at the 6th position (do you know?). 42.6% of orders came from outside of Bangkok => the demand from other cities is very big, and there are less competitive, here are potential chances for startups to cover these long tail locations. Bangkok is counted for 57.4%.
About payment, i don’t understand why aCommerce didn’t mention about bank transfer, the main payment method here. As several executives from Lazada, DealFish, Tarad always informed that bank transfer plays an important role in Thailand. Perhaps in the top two and three tier cities people don’t use bank transfer that much, but it wont disappear.
What devices did they use?
Samsung takes over the top position with 46% , most of them are Galaxy S and Note. Apple comes after with 45% (mainly iPhone).
- Most views on average came from Samsung users (46%) => as Samsung mobile’s screen is usually bigger than iPhone’s screen.
- 70% of purchases came from Apple devices.
- Mobile is critical for viewing but desktop still plays a major role in purchases in Thailand with only 5% viewing on desktop but 42% of all transactions made on desktop and or PCs.
I’m reaching to Line Thailand executives to have more insights about their data, and will update this post when I have the answers. In the mean time, you can download the full infographic here